The beginning of the season, AW 2018/2019, is about to start in our creative heads so I’d like to share a few thoughts and findings with you. Most important, before any lifestyle trend or fabric innovation, all of us in charge should carefully check our collections and items already out there on the shop floor; what is the best-selling item and why, what needs an update, what needs to be cancelled, and so on. This way, you reach the best financial and environmental result for both your business and customer, who will more than appreciate your approach. So let’s have a closer look.
Before “paddling” into creating AW 18/19 please examine your existing collections.
Then define precisely the new strategy and have a good look at the AW 18/19 lingerie trends. “Reflect contemporary femininity” could describe best which trend lies ahead.
Suggested key styles:
- Underwire styles with versatile strap details, optional strapless bras — both lightly padded or even non padded, depending on your market
- Soft cup bralet, fashionable light as well as functional for larger sizes
- Light weight camisoles, also to be worn as outerwear
- High waist briefs are a must
- Low waist briefs or hipster styles and thongs
- Sports bralets and sports underwire bras, also sports briefs • Shaper camisoles and shaper briefs
The main focus lies in two areas:
- “light easy to wear every day luxury,” which is meant to be worn from morning till end of the day
- “athleisure,” low & high impact sport like walking, yoga, tennis, running, etc.
Key fabrications and features:
Fine Chantilly look like stretch laces, splitable galloon laces, cotton look & feel embroideries, pre-cut panels with either bonded edges or freecut, microfibers,
dull, shiny, or semi matte, all over flock prints, velvets, silky knits, feel good qualities incorporating bamboo & aloe vera, textured surfaces, pikee looks, burnouts, lightweight stretch silk blends, jacquards, flexible hardware such as flexy rings and slides, laser cut motives & details, high tech cottons, cotton nets, wide rustic looking bands for waists, shoulder straps and detailing.
Apart from the whole sport movement category, I would like to mention that post- surgery shapewear is a huge separate category, which is becoming very important, very fast. Certain well-known fabric producers cater to this specialized area…
Access the complete version of this article and much more when you subscribe to the Intimate Apparel Journal, your go-to source for the latest in intimate apparel fashion design, engineering and construction methods.